This is the only cheesy and creamy broccoli soup recipe you’ll ever need. Yes, it is that good! In just 30 minutes, you can be sitting down to a delightfully tasteful and nourishing bowl of fresh broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, and a handful of pantry ingredients. No matter what time of year it is, broccoli cheese soup is a staple in many homes. That’s because it’s a quick, easy meal (serve with a whole grain bread on the side) warming your belly from the inside out.
This soup is different from restaurant versions which are often loaded with fat. This broccoli cheese soup is a slimmed-down solution that’s also an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D, fiber, and even protein. Thanks to switching out high-fat heavy cream, this soup uses either skim or 1% milk to still provide a nice creamy sensation with the extra benefits of healthy veggies and spices. Add in some fresh lemon juice for a special “zing” of flavor. And, with only one cup of sharp cheddar cheese, there’s just enough of a cheesy taste without being overwhelming.
Try it out – you’ll be so glad when you create this ultra-creamy, flavorful soup that’s perfect for a light lunch and is a great go-to when rushed for time.
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings
Nutrition per serving: Calories – 330; Total fat – 28 grams; Protein- 10 grams; Carbohydrates – 11 grams; Fiber – 3 grams; Sodium – 560 milligrams
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups skim or 1% milk
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and then add onion and carrots and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add to the saucepan, the vegetable or chicken broth, broccoli, thyme, garlic powder, and salt/pepper. Simmer until broccoli is softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the vegetables to set aside. Using either an immersion blender or regular food blender, blend remaining ingredients together. If using a food blender, add ingredients back to the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Place flour in a bowl. Add in milk a little at a time whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in the flour and milk mixture to the ingredients in the saucepan. Turn heat up slightly and continue whisking until thick and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in lemon juice, stir in cheese and reserved chopped vegetables and serve immediately.