A summertime classic that’s light and oh-so refreshing
Can you imagine summer without making a cucumber tomato salad at least once? Neither can I and here’s a recipe that’s not only easy but you’ll come back to again and again. Of course all the ingredients can be bought at your local grocer or farmer’s market, but if you have a home garden or a friend supplying you with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, that’s even better.
This easy and healthy salad can be chopped and mixed together in under 10 minutes. Recruit your kids or spouse to chop away helping prep this colorful, lightly tangy salad. Cucumber tomato salad, whether for a picnic or as a summer side dish, goes great next to grilled or roasted meats or fish, such as marinated beef or chicken kabobs, grilled salmon, or pork tenderloin.
For this salad I chose mini cucumbers (but any type of cucumber will do) and ‘striped’ the sides using a vegetable peeler creating a fun and interesting contrast. Cherry or grape tomatoes can simply be cut in half, but if your preference is to dice a larger tomato, that will do too!
What I really like about salad recipes like this is that following the recipe word-for-word, is optional. In other words, be my guest improvising by adding some of your favorite ingredients that might include the following:
- Chopped red peppers
- Sliced avocado
- Crumbled feta cheese or mozzarella pearls
- Diced yellow squash
- Finely chopped basil or parsley
- Use balsamic vinegar in place of red wine for a more tangy flavor
- Chopped fennel bulb
Are you ready for the recipe? Here’s your solution for summer potlucks and picnics!
Crispy Cucumber Tomato Salad with Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 cups miniature cucumbers, sliced and halved
- 3 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, parsley or basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut off ends of cucumber; using a vegetable peeler, place about 4 'stripes' from top to bottom of each cucumber. Then slice each cucumber into 1/4 inch slices and then cut each slice in half.
- Slice the tomatoes into halves
- Slice the red onion into small, bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, add in all ingredients and gently toss together until mixed.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two days.