There’s nothing like an Italian-inspired hearty and healthy chicken and white bean soup that soothes the soul
Nothing says “comfort food” quite like a hot, steaming bowl of chicken soup. No matter what time of year, but especially when temps take a dip and the North wind blows, chicken soup with a side of crusty bread and a glass of wine, always sounds good.
Chicken soup really does warm the heart and soul. And with just the right amount of soothing, mouth-watering appeal and taste, along with a healthy compliment of nourishing ingredients, here’s a chicken soup recipe that will be your comfort go-to food time and time again.
What’s especially nice is to use an already prepared store-bought rotisserie chicken offering incredible versatility saving you precious time in preparing the chicken yourself. And no worries…a store-bought rotisserie chicken still provides a flavorful “homemade” chicken soup taste that’s come to life. I used a rotisserie chicken with mild seasoning – both plain and lemon-pepper work well. If you like a richer flavor, be sure to add meat from the wings and some of the bones to the broth. Creamy white beans are used in place of traditional noodles, making this soup a protein-packed meal. Fresh sage provides a nice herby and savory vibe to the stock. Add in a few carrots and celery and you’ve got deliciousness waiting for you to experience how good it is.
This hearty, warming bowl of chicken soup is just steps away and is incredibly easy and fast to put together. Read on, I’ll walk you through it.
Rotisserie Chicken and White Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot peeled and cut into 1/4 –inch rounds
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced and quartered
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage or 1/4 tsp dried
- 2 14- ounce cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15- ounce can cannellini beans rinsed
- 1 2- pound rotisserie chicken skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot, celery, and carrots, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sage and mushrooms and continue cooking until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and water, increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil
- Add beans and chicken and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.