For those of you who want to try an amazingly tasty and delicious protein-rich vegan pizza, here it is! I can’t say enough about how remarkably flavorful this quick and easy meal will delight your taste buds. I’ll be the first to admit, I love my pizza normally with some type of meat, such as sausage or beef. But this recipe is a delightfully nice change of pace.
Most people, who take a bite of a slice would likely be hard pressed to name exactly where the tantalizing flavor combinations are from. What they will discover instead is how satisfying, mouthwatering and just plain yummy this pizza is. The combination of chickpeas, cashews, basil, and garlic blends into what tastes like an authentic Italian-made delicacy you’d find in a quaint restaurant on the streets of Paris.
But, you do not have to travel that far to get this same wonderful blend of flavors in your own home kitchen. Even better, most of the ingredients you likely already have on hand making it a snap to put together. A store-bought crust makes prep a breeze and that much simpler.
Plan now to add this recipe to your must-make list. You won’t be disappointed!
Photo by Cheryl Mussatto
Protein-Rich Chickpea Pizza – serves 4, 2 slices each
Nutrition information per serving: Calories – 414; Total Fat – 18 grams; Protein – 18 grams; Carbohydrates – 45 grams; Fiber – 2 grams; and Sodium – 640 grams
1 11-12 inch premade thin pizza crust, preferably whole wheat
¼ cup roasted chickpeas
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup pizza sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups baby spinach tore into smaller pieces
1 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, divided
1-2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place premade pizza crust on a pizza baking sheet
- Place cashews in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add chickpeas, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper; pulse to combine. Add ½ cup basil and pulse to a sandy consistency, 2 to 3 times.
- Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the pizza crust. Top olive oil on pizza crust with 1 cup pizza sauce, spreading evenly over crust.
- Spread the chickpea mixture evenly over the pizza sauce. Top with spinach, tomatoes, mozzarella, and goat cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the crust is crisp.
- Garnish with the remaining ½ cup of basil. Cut pizza into 8 slices to serve.
Recipe inspired by Diabetic Living Magazine