A breakfast with pancakes is always a good start to your day. It’s even better when the recipe is a Mediterranean inspired heart healthy batter your entire family will enjoy.
Do you know of anyone who doesn’t like pancakes? Neither do I. If you’re a pancake enthusiast, get ready to make a delicious stack-of-cakes providing you two ingredients that’ll satisfy a healthy appetite…Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour. Calcium-rich nonfat Greek yogurt is not just for building bones but also for building muscle thanks to an abundance of protein. Whole wheat flour is a good source of fiber, slowing down digestion keeping you feeling fuller longer.
Adding Greek yogurt helps make the cakes moist, light, and fluffy – just the way pancakes should be. Once cooked, add the final touches of placing a dollop of yogurt and honey topping, throw in some berries and chopped nuts, and you’ll enjoy a truly amazing Mediterranean pancake breakfast…or brunch!
This appetizing recipe comes from my book, The Heart Disease Prevention Cookbook that contains 125 recipes starting you on your Mediterranean diet journey. Heart disease is the leading killer of Americans; but when you begin adding foods based on the Mediterranean way of eating, within time, you should see improvement in heart health lowering your risk of heart disease. My book can be ordered at Amazon with this link: https://amzn.to/2KMQn5B
So, are you ready to whip up some easy, fluffy, and healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes? Check out the recipe below:
Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Yogurt and Honey Topping – Serves 4, serving size – 3 pancakes
Nutrition information per serving: Calories – 380; Total fat – 3 grams; Protein – 21 grams; Carbohydrates – 70 grams; Fiber – 5 grams; and Sodium – 470 milligrams
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons honey, divided
Zest and juice of one orange
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt, divided
Nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, white flour, sea salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, 2 tablespoons honey, orange zest and juice, eggs, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of yogurt
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Working batches, ladle 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake into the pan. Cook on one side until bubbles form about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is done, about 2 minutes more.
- While the pancakes cook, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey and the remaining 1 cup of yogurt.
- Serve the pancakes with the yogurt spoon on top.
Nutrition boost: Top pancakes with a 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts for added crunch and a boost of omega-3 fatty acids.